Sunday, December 31, 2006

The kids made me do it

I finally decided that for my next project (and final for 2006) would be a cap for the kids with an AT-AT on it. I first got the idea from Jessica when she made this for one of her sons.



I decided on the AT-AT for one main reason. When B first would draw things from Star Wars, he would always draw an AT-AT or Imperial Walker, as he likes to call them. So I figured, that the first Star Wars item that I made would be an AT-AT (I'm just sentimental like that).

The thing is, I hate weaving in ends. It's not that I can't, I just don't like weaving in that many ends and I wanted to work this in the round so I knew that there would be many to weave in. When I made this for the kids, I had a gazillion. I just don't want to do it again. I'm not good at it.
So you know what I decided to do instead?

If you couldn't tell from the first pic, I decided that I would double knit it.

That's right. Rather than weaving in the ends, I would rather learn a new technique that would require very little weaving.

Ever since I saw Keohinani knit two socks at the same time, I have wanted to try the whole double knitting thing, but never pursued it. When Knitty put out an article about it, I printed it up and it had just been sitting there. This was the project that finally got me to do it. What I wouldn't do for the kids.

I am hoping that I will be done with this before the stroke of twelve. But who knows. I still have dinner to make and a party to go to tonight.

Happy New Year to all!

No comments: