Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Where it all Started

I remember when I was little I would watch as my grandmother would knit or crochet and each and everytime I would ask if she could teach me. Each time she was knitting I would try and would end up just winding the yarn around the right needle thinking that I was “knitting”. When I would finally realize that I did not have a knitted piece but just one long piece of yarn my grandmother would kindly pull out a crochet hook and let me at it. I was always so proud of my long 39825072739 inch of crochet chain. Eventually I could make little crocheted squares, but that was pretty much it.

My grandmother was never able to successfully teach me to knit. It wasn’t until I was pregnant with my second son in January of 2003 when I got this magazine in the mail.


When I was going through the magazine, I came across this article here.



After all these years, I finally decided it was time for me to learn how to knit. Now the cast on method in the magazine was for some reason not clicking in my brain so I went to a local craft store and purchased this to help me with the parts that I was not understanding from the magazine


From those two sources I learned enough to make a couple of scarves. At that point, knitting was just something that I would do occasionally. Afterall, I had a moss stitch scarf that took me a good year or so to make because I would only work on it occasionally.

The next “big” knitting project that I gave myself was when I found out that my best friend was pregnant. I decided that I would knit her little one a baby blanket. I found out that she was pregnant in January of 2004 and she was not due until September. I went and purchased the yarn and a pattern book and started right away. I think I finished the blanket while she was in labor at the hospital. It is not that I was not working on it, I just wasn’t one who knit everyday. I would knit when I was in the mood and I was a very slow knitter. In fact when I went to the hospital and gave her the blanket I was in such a rush that I forgot to weave in the ends.

Later that month I was at the market and I saw this magazine.


After looking in it I decided that it was going to be a handknit Christmas from me. That is when the whole felted bag disater happened. I made two other sweaters from that mag. As it turned out I did not give out any handmade gifts that year. It was way too embarrassing. Though I did make socks for my grandparents (they were knit flat and seamed up the back).
Anyway, it was during this time that I transformed from the person who just knew how to knit to the person who loves to knit.


These are the remains from one of the sweaters from that Christmas.

No comments: