Wednesday, March 29, 2006

These are my Confessions

I have a confession to make. I am afraid to block. Did you hear me? I am afraid to block. Ok, one more time. I AM AFRAID TO BLOCK. There, I said it. Are you happy now? I don’t know what it is, but there is something about blocking that I cannot seem to perform it correctly or anything. Part of me thinks that it is a waste of time and the other part just can’t seem to get it right.

Let me explain. I have blocked three times in my past. The first time I blocked was for Hopeful and I used the spray bottle method. The one where you put some warm water in a spray bottle, lightly spray the garmet, pin it in place and let dry. When I did that, it did not seem to do anything for it. I was using Rowan Cashsoft DK and to be honest, it really did nothing.

The second time I blocked, it was for something that I had designed using some kid mohair. This time I used the steam method. The method where you can use an iron or a steamer thing thingy. This time I was trying to convince my hubby that I needed a Scunci Steamer because I had just seen Annie Modesitt on Knitty Gritty using one, and I knew that I needed one, too. Long story short, I found a steamer thing that I have had for years, the one people use for travel. It did a little, but not much in terms of a positive blocking experience. Now I don’t have any pics of that one either because after I blocked it, it became 3 sizes too big for me.

The last time I blocked, I did not do so by choice. What happened was my youngest son got bright blue toothpaste all over this. So I don’t know if you would call it blocking or washing. I am calling it blocking though. The soak method. It took 6 days for the jacket to dry. Though I have to admit that the way the yarn looks now is much nicer than before. That is one instance of where blocking has not been so bad.

Why you may be asking I am telling you this? I have decided that I am going to block the back and front panels of Starsky, and I am a little scared to do it.

Oh, by the way look what I bought:


And yes, I am afraid to use them.

No comments: