Monday, June 26, 2006

Who Am I Calling Old?

Do you remember when you thought that no matter what happened to you, you could just go on and it would be okay? When you did not have to "recuperate" after the party or injury?

When I was in college, I remember those all night parties where I could drink, sleep for about 45 minutes, wake up, and do it again. Not that I did that all that often, but I could when I wanted to. I also remember spraining my ankle so bad during volleyball practice that the doctor told me to stay off of it for three to four weeks and after three days, I taped it up and was good to go. It wasn't until years later that the ankle started to give me problems, I went to the orthopedist, got the cortisone shots, and was good. Haven't had a problem since.

How I long for those days. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that I am old or anything like that, infact, I am even considered young amongst many of my friends and neighbors (early 30's if you were wondering). But I do, I do long for the days when I thought that nothing could stand in the way of what I needed or should I say wanted to do.

Why is this on my mind? Several reasons. One being my back. I have never had to do much in terms of pain management before, infact, I really don't like to take medicine unless it is absolutely necessary. Now don't get me wrong, it is not as though I am not willing to take meds, but if I don't need it then why.

So the fact that I have been taking meds for my back is a big thing for me. I have only taken two of the three prescribed, the anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer. It seemed to have been working too. By Friday evening, I decided that would stop taking the muscle relaxer because I was feeling better. Saturday I took nothing and was fine, the only thing was my back would hurt when I woke up in the morning, but after a while, I would be fine. So Sunday rolls around, I thought that I could play ball (against hubby's wishes) realizing that I would probably be a little stiff after, but I thought I would be fine just like all those times before.

Boy was I wrong. I am not as young as I used to be and if I am feeling this way now, then what is it going to be like later on in life. I am going to refrain from all physical activity for two weeks and I am going to see where that gets me. It is a going to be hard and little frustrating but I will do it. I have to I just told all of the blogosphere I would.

The only good thing about this is that I have to pretty much take it easy, which for me means I get to knit. I am going to get to knit a lot more than normal. I told myself after I finished the toe socks that I wouldn't knit anything else until these were done.


At the rate I am going, hopefully I will cast on for something else by tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son has that same truck! lol