Friday, June 09, 2006

Superstition

I have been knitting. Really, I have. I have been trying to keep it on the DL (down low) for reasons that may seem, well, superstitious. See, I don't want to jinx anything. You know you start talking about something with the hopes of X happening and then because you spoke publicly about X, it doesn't happen, your heart is broken, and then I would have to go hide in a hole.

This got me thinking. Growing up I never considered myself very superstitious, afterall, I broke about a dozen of those little pocket mirrors when I was about 9. The bad luck would still be following me. I think I have been pretty lucky so far.

I mean when I was in college I remember one of the girls on our volleyball team who would not under any circumstances cut her nails on game day or any other things like that. There was another girl on the team who wouldn't wash her "game" socks. Eeew! I thought they were nuts. We all know those people who freak at the sight of a black cat, who must throw salt over their shoulder if it is spilled, who won't walk under a ladder, etc.

But then I got to thinking. I am superstitious. I don't freak at the sight of black cats, etc. I still play softball so some of my superstition has to do with this. Now don't get me wrong I will cut my nails and do wash my clothes/uniforms between games. But if I am not hitting like I should be, I really wash my uniform. I will wash it at least 2 or more times between games to get the bad mojo out. If I wear a particular hat/visor that does not have the good mojo, then I will no longer wear it to my games.

A lot of my superstitiousness (is that a word?) comes from not messing with good fortune types of things. For example, when we were purchasing our house, I did not tell anyone in fear that we would not get the house if I "boasted" about it too much. When I was pregnant with my kids, I did not tell anyone that I was pregnant until pretty far along. If they asked me point blank are you pregnant, I wouldn't lie, but I wouldn't bring it up unless I had to. I didn't want to jinx it.

Now, I know that this may have me hiding in a hole, but here is what I have been working on for the last few weeks.


With all this talk it gets me thinking. What types of things do you do or not do? How superstitious are you?

Now let me go get my Stevie Wonder CD.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm honestly not superstitious at all.
Your project looks good!